The Right to Privacy in the Age of Digitalization
The article analyzes ensuring the right to privacy on the example of modern information technologies such as: Internet, Social Network, Big Data and Internet of Things. We believe that in the epoch of the steep development of information technologies, traditional legal methods and instruments are not enough for solving the privacy problems. Thus, access to databases of personal data of individuals increases the risk of intrusion into the privacy sphere and violation of the right to inviolability. IT greatly exacerbated legal problems related to the dilemma of disclosure of information or to protect privacy and the lack of traditional legal means to ensure privacy. Thus, in the era of IT, automated processing of personal data is the main source of threats to the inviolability of the privacy sphere. However, the new technologies shall not be rejected; it is only important to solve the issue of regulation, accumulation, storage, application and protection of the information on the person. This will allow realizing the potential and advantages of the information technologies for the consumers and at the same time minimizing the risks of losing the security and confidentiality.
Keywords: privacy; right to privacy; personal data; information technologies; Internet; Social networks; Big Data and Internet of Things.
2. Tim Berners-Lee (2007). Zasnuvannia Pavutyny: Z choho pochynalasia i do choho pryjde Vsesvitnia merezha [Weaving the Web: The Original Design and Ultimate Destiny of the World Wide Web]. Kyiv. (In Ukrainian).
3. Bryzhko, V. (2016). Pryvatnist u khmarnykh tekhnolohiiakh [Privacy in cloud technologies]. Informatsiia i pravo [Information and Law], 4 (19), 47-59. (In Ukrainian).
4. Ehrlich, E. (2005). Pro zhyve pravo [About Living Law]. Problemy filosofii prava [Problems of the philosophy of law]. 3, 194-200. (In Ukrainian).
5. Koban, O. «Zhyve pravo» Yevhena Erlikha ta suchasni tsyfrovi tekhnolohiy. In Legal Activity. Retrieved November 13, 2019 from: https://is.gd/vcAyNG (In Ukrainian).
6. Polityka schodo fajliv Cookie kompanii «Shell Ukraina». [Shell Ukraine cookie file policy]. In Shell. Retrieved July 25, 2018 from: https://bit.ly/2UNIQ9S
7. America First. A Budget Blueprint to Make America Great Again by Office of Management and Budget (US). Retrieved June 25, 2018 from: https://is.gd/yY4coP
8. Class Action Settlement Agreement. Case. No. 1:16-cv-8655. Retrieved June 25, 2018 from: http://www.sicclassactionsettlement.com/DocumentHandler.ashx?DocPath=/Documents/Settlement_Agreement.pdf.
9. Commission Staff Working Document. Advancing the Internet of Things in Europe. Accompanying the document Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, The Council, The European Economic And Social Committee And The Committee Of The Regions Digitising European Industry Reaping the full benefits of a Digital Single Market, SWD/2016/0110 final. Retrieved June 25, 2018 from: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:52016SC0110
10. Customer Privacy and Security - update and next steps. September 13, 2016. Retrieved June 25, 2018 from: http://we-vibe.com/blog/privacy-and-security-update/
11. Data policy Facebook. In Facebook. Retrieved April 25, 2018 from: https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/
12. Data Protection Regulation. Retrieved June 25, 2018 from: http://www.eugdpr.org/eugdpr.org.html (date of access 25.06.2018).
13. Digital single market. Retrieved April 25, 2018 from: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/priorities/digital-single-market/
14. Digitising European Industry. Retrieved April 25, 2018 from: https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/policies/digitising-european-industry
15. Lewis, B. Edward Snowden and data security for the Internet of Things. Retrieved June 25, 2018 from: https://is.gd/lCnAXS
16. European Data Protection Supervisor. Opinion 7/2015 Meeting the challenges of big data A call for transparency, user control, data protection by design and accountability. Retrieved June 25, 2018 from: https://edps.europa.eu/sites/edp/files/publication/15-11-19_big_data_en.pdf
17. FTC Approves Final Order Settling Charges Against TRENDnet, Inc. Retrieved April 25, 2018 from: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2014/02/ftc-approves-final-order-settling-charges-against-trendnet-inc
18. In the Matter of TRENDNET, INC., a corporation. AGREEMENT CONTAINING CONSENT ORDER FILE, NO. 122-3090. Retrieved April 25, 2018 from: https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/cases/2013/09/130903trendnetorder.pdf
19. Internet of things. Privacy&Security in a Connected World, 2015. Retrieved April 25, 2018 from: https://is.gd/2mCj7v
20. La CNIL met publiquement en demeure FACEBOOK de se conformer, dans un délai de trois mois, à la loi Informatique et Libertés. Retrieved June 25, 2018 from: https://is.gd/fIrpgS
21. Prigg, M. Harvard professors warn 'privacy is dead' and predict mosquito-sized robots that steal samples of your DNA. Retrieved April 25, 2018 from: https://is.gd/oIDXnB
22. Gershenfeld, N. The Internet of Things. Scientific American. Retrieved April 25, 2018 from: http://fab.cba.mit.edu/classes/S62.12/docs/Cohen_Internet.pdf
23. Staff Working Document: Advancing the Internet of Things in Europe. Retrieved April 25, 2018 from: https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/news/staff-working-document-advancing-internet-things-europe
24. Three Challenges for the Web, According to its Inventor. Retrieved June 25, 2018 from: http://webfoundation.org/2017/03/web-turns-28-letter/
25. TRENDnet, Inc., In the Matter of. FTC MATTER/FILE NUMBER: 122-3090. Retrieved April 25, 2018 from: https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/122-3090/trendnet-inc-matter
26. Vault 7: CIA Hacking Tools Revealed. Retrieved June 25, 2018 from: https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/index.html
27. We-Connect App and Privacy Update. In We-Vibe. October 3, 2016. Retrieved April 25, 2018 from: http://we-vibe.com/blog/we-connect-app-and-privacy-update/
28. World map of social networks. In Vincos Blog. January 2017. Retrieved June 25, 2018 from: http://vincos.it/world-map-of-social-networks/
29. Onn, Y. & Elkin-Koren, N., Birnhack, M. (Eds.). (2005). Privacy in the Digital Environment. Haifa Center of Law & Technology. Retrieved June 25, 2018 from: https://is.gd/R7JhvY